A Very Sad Time--need advice

mulchwoman(metuchen,nj)June 12, 2005

Yesterday we lost our beloved little girl cat. Missy was 9-1/2 years old and she died suddenly from what the vet said was a heart attack. We buried her and I would like to plant a hydrangea there. I have a hydrangea close by that is doing very well in the partial shade, but that was planted in March. My question is is it too late to plant a hydrangea there now? I am in Zone 6 and it has been very hot and summery here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellenh

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. It's hard to lose them so quickly too.

As for your hydrangea, you can move plants at almost any time, but there are several things you can do to ensure that it is done successfully. First, water the plants thoroughly and give time for the bush to fully hydrate (1 hour???). Then dig a big enough root ball to disturb the roots as little as possible. After you plant it, make sure that you keep it watered on a regular basis.

Ellen

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 9:50AM
mulchwoman(metuchen,nj)

Hello Ellen
Thanks very much for your advice, but I didn't mean move the one I already have. I mean purchase a new one and plant it.
Thanks
Pat

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 10:06AM
ellenh

Either way, most of the advice it the same. Most plant which die when planted die of water stress (lack of water)

Ellen

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 12:32PM
Maria410(z6 NJ)

Hi,

I just planted five climbing hydrangeas this morning here in New Brunswick, NJ. I just kept the plants well watered until my trellis wall was installed and then watered the holes before planting. I also made sure I spread the roots and then gave each of them a very long slow drink this am. I will probably give them a regular long drink every few days (unless we have rain) until they are established.

I water new plantings regularly and deeply for the first season and that seems to work.

-- Maria

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 3:01PM
Loretta NJ Z6

Just keep an eye on it. You should have no problems. Probably it will perk up once out of the pot and into the ground. Like they said above, it will need extra watering this year.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 9:37AM
Loretta NJ Z6

And of course, I am very sorry about your beloved pet. My beautiful dog is now a peach tree at my fathers house. A little freaky to eat those peaches...Come to think of it, they buried our little white cat in the vegetable garden. How strange they planted edibles over our pets! What were they thinking!

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 9:43AM
mulchwoman(metuchen,nj)

Thanks everybody for your sympathy and advice. I went out this morning and bought a "Pink Elf" dwarf hydrangea from a reputable nursery. It seems to be ideal for around here--cold hardy--relatively heat tolerant and will grow in partial shade. I will plant it this afternoon. I was given very detailed instructions about planting, watering, etc. so things should be OK.
Thanks once again for your support and advice.
Pat

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
This weekends cold spell and tree question
Well, this weekend officially ended my dahlias growing...
eterprincess
Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey
There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees...
elman23
Leland Cypress Hedge in Northern NJ?
Hi All - Any suggestions for planting a barrier hedge...
soulbird17
Unusual Temperature in December
60 F or so. It is warm.... Feels nice, but may not...
redsun9
The ABC's of Vegetable Gardening, Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:00
Think “Spring”! Southard Grange #218 is happy to...
a_holovacs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™