They ate all the daylily buds last night. I'm talking hundreds of buds. They even ate rudbeckia buds.
So the daylilies are effectively done for the year. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again? I don't want to have to buy expensive products or spray anything that is going to leave an obvious coating. Is there anything actually good you can spray that will at once act as a deterrent and be beneficial to the plants at the same time?
Oh, and they also ate their way through a whole patch of campanula, which I've been cultivating as a sort of groundcover to the left of a curving walk. They also ate some toad-lily buds.
I still have a lot of other plants left, so my garden is not totally wiped out.
But I'm still devastated.