water the lawn and emerging flowers?

prateekMarch 20, 2012

Well, this weather has got me totally confused. I am worried that the emerging grass and early flowers will now dry out completely and die. Boston metro is going through 70 degree days and with no rain for the past week.

Should I connect up the water hose and sprinkler system? Or would that only encourage premature growth??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

We have been so dry that I really had no choice but to use the sprinkler already in certain beds. I'm not concerned about the lawn. We've had our hoses connected for a couple of weeks and everything has been growing unseasonably early regardless, so if the garden needs water and is growing, for me, I am trying to give them what they missed so they can grow well. With this warm weather and 87 degrees forecast for tomorrow, I think the garden has enough challenges without doing without enough water too. Just my own thinking on the matter.

Our daffodils are opening earlier then usual and I think the spring display could be over with before the usual time it starts. So I am trying to quickly get the garden cleaned up and ready and enjoy it.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 2:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

We've had an unusually dry and warm winter. I hope we'll have more regular rainfall this Spring and summer.

So far, the only plants I'm really worried about are the ones that were planted or transplanted this Spring, and those that were planted or transplanted during the latter part of last year. I will baby perennials and woody plants for a year and sometimes more (for large woody plants) and water them during a dry spell.

I rarely water turf grass, although a new lawn or young grasses may be some watering to get better-established.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Bristol County Conservation District 2014 Plant Sale
Now is the time the Massachusetts County Conservation...
edlincoln
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™