I posted this to the vine forum, but I'm cross posting it here. Maybe an NJ gardener has seen this vine before.
I hope someone can please identify this vine/weed (?) for me. It has been growing into my yard from the neighborsÂ property for a while now.
This is what I can tell you about it -
1. I did not plant it. I don't think the neighbor did either. It's probably wild.
2. It is located in northeastern NJ.
3. It uses tendrils to climb.
4. It grows very quickly!
5. It has some sort of flimsy, almost leafy thorns.
6. It is very ropey feeling, and even though the thorns are flimsy -- if you try to pull it out, they seem to bite you harder, the firmer you grasp the vine. Yes, IÂm using gloves now!!
After an extremely hard pull it usually will snap and break, leaving some of the vine still coming out of the ground, only to grow 4 ft up the fence and another 2 feet in what seems like a week!
7. I've handled it multiple times, and I don't have any poison ivy like reaction. As long as you donÂt squeeze it, you wonÂt get any thorn bites.
8. I don't know if it flowers, since I've never let it grow past 6 or 7 ft before removing it from the fence, laying it flat, and spraying it with vine killer (since pulling is futile).
Here is a link that might be useful: Vine ID