brown lemongrass

CHRIS_01September 9, 2005

MY LEMONGRASS IS BROWN ON TIPS AND SIDES. IT IS SOMEWHAT MOTTLED ALSO..I RECENTLY REPOTTED AS IT WAS A LITTLE ROOTBOUND..IT WAS BROWN BEFORE THIS HOWEVER.. IT HAS GOOD DRAINAGE AND LOTS OF SUN..ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I've been growing lemon grass Cymbopogon citratus for about 7 years now. I grow it in the ground and in pots. In fact the ones in the ground lived through 6" of snow last Christmas. This spring I just pulled out the brown parts that were on the outside of the plants. And I have a chef friend that uses lots of my lemon grass at his restaurant.

Anyway, it is common for the outer leafs to turn brown and die off and the new growth comes from the middle. Unless your entire plant is turning brown without any new growth in the middle, don't worry about it. Just make sure that it is in a sunny area, well drained, tends to like slightly acidic soil, and give an occasional dose of fish emulsion and/or sea weed emulsion. As long as you have new growth coming up from the middle, don't worry.

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
succulent plant needs help! yellow leaves and bending
Hi i was hoping someone could help me figure out what...
bcactus123
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
Inherited Garden w/ No Winter Prep
Hello, I'm new to gardening and this forum. I'm seeking...
phillips_em
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™