Ladybugs and Earthworms

tupacs01June 24, 2006

Hi all,

I have a problem with some pests in a small flower garden I recently planted, and also with soil aeration. I'd like to buy some ladybugs and earthworms for this little garden, but I'll be darned if I know where I can get some around here. I'm in the Clifton NJ area. Does anyone know where I can buy ladybugs and earthworms around here?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fmart322(Z6SNJ)

I couldn't tell you where you could get lady bugs but if you go to any place they sell bait and tackle (freshwater fishing only)you can get earth worms there. Also, you can get them at most K-mart and walmart stores in the sporting goods store.

I bet you'll have to get the lady bugs on-line some where.

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 9:52PM
tracey_nj6(6)

99.9% of the ladybugs will leave your garden. If you have an aphid infested plant or two, you might have a shot at keeping some of them around, until their food source is gone, then they'll move on. If you do purchase some ladybugs, release them at night. I had wedged the open container in one of my aphid infested shrubs, as low as I could get it. Some stayed, but in a few days, they were mostly gone. Still, I looked it as a humane release project. I had purchased mine a few years ago, at DePiero's in Montvale. Did you try Ploch's?

As for earthworms, I'm sure you could find some online. I have more earthworms and nightcrawlers in my ground. When it rains, look out; one can't even walk in my grass without squishing loads of them :(

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 10:10AM
orcuttnyc(z5-6 NY)

Great company. I do't need more ladybugs, but I do get praying mantisis each year.

http://www.berkshirebio.com/bene.html

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 9:03PM
Annie_nj(z6b)

Worms will come when the soil is rich in organics and moisture, and not too hot. I think most chemicals harm worms, so be careful. My soil drains pretty well, so I rarely see worms except under the mulch/compost when it it not too warm and/or dry.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
Citrus in northern nj
Anyone growing citrus in northern nj? Need help finding...
jersey21
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
Leland Cypress Hedge in Northern NJ?
Hi All - Any suggestions for planting a barrier hedge...
soulbird17
The ABC's of Vegetable Gardening, Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:00
Think “Spring”! Southard Grange #218 is happy to...
a_holovacs
Sponsored Products
Red Ladybug Mixing Bowl Set
$17.99 | zulily
Ladybug Reversible Cutting Board/Trivet
$7.99 | zulily
Ladybug Garden Figurine
$8.99 | zulily
Ladybug Love Canvas
$7.99 | zulily
Ladybug Garden 22-Oz. Insulated Tumbler
$6.99 | zulily