butterfly bush

lil_greenthumb(5)October 9, 2005

does anyone know what a seed from a butterfly bush looks like? silly but are they just under the dried flower

???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

There's a picture here that you may or may not find helpful. I've heard people describe the capsules containing the fine seeds as tiny footballs, seems appropriate. You can just locate the pods (capsules) and crumble those to sow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly seeds

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 2:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nurmey(5 Omaha, NE)

The flower bracken will produce hundreds of little football shaped pods standing on end. It takes a couple months for the pods to develop and ripen after the flower fades. When the pods turn brown (usually well after the freeze in zone 5) the seeds will be ripe. If you let them stay on the plant long enough, the pods will crack open. Carefully clip the whole bracken into a bag and give it a shake and you will have a million little yellowish "hairs" fall out. Those are the seeds!

If you don't let the pods crack open after they are brown, just gently crush the pods and sow chaff and seeds. Unless the pods crack open, it is impossible to separate chaff from seed but that is no big deal.

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
valencia orange tree
We bought a Valencia tree 4 or 5 years ago and its...
coralroses
Hey guys.. i need help with strawberries
Okay so I'm fairly new to growing strawberries. Where...
danny.wullve
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™