Arrowwood Viburnum or Eastern Ninebark?

edlincoln(6A)August 27, 2013

Arrowwood Viburnum or Eastern Ninebark are on sale at my local Lowes for $7.50 for a fairly big plant. Which should I get?

I could either plant it on an eroding embankment or in a row of bushes concealing a superfluous fence.

It would be exposed to high winds and salt spray during hurricanes. Either clay soil or a mixture of sand and gravel depending on where I decide to put it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheBlackTulip

It all depends on what you are looking for. Common Ninebark has unique bark and a lot of wildlife value when it comes to native bees. But Arrow-wood Viburnum has much better fall color, and is a host plant for the uncommon "Spring Azure" butterfly although, it lacks Common Ninebarks unique bark.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:45AM
agardenstateof_mind

Tough choice ... I'd probably wind up getting both, and you did say you have two potential locations ... but don't let me be a bad influence ;-)

You might find the information on the Mass. Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs website somewhat helpful, where they specificallly mention the following about ninebark:

"...fast growing and will re-sprout from the base vigorously if cut back. It can be used in a garden border, as a screen, or for erosion control on banks."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mass. Energy & Env. Affairs - Coastal Landscaping

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:03PM
gilley111

Check to see if viburnum leaf beetle is in your area. They just love arrowwood.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:13PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Get both.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:58PM
wisconsitom

Yeah, both good plants. Arrowwood viburnum happens to be a personal favorite of mine but both are useful and native.

+oM

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:29AM
edlincoln(6A)

I purchased the ninebark.

Another thought. One of the sites I'm thinking of planting it has decent soil but a lot of invasive English ivy. The other has sand and gravel, honeysuckle, and poison ivy (A native, yay!)

Would English Ivy kill this plant? For some reason it hasn't killed any other trees, but this is a young one.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 11:50AM
edlincoln(6A)

Update. This is one of the two bargain-bin ninebark the next Spring.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:54PM
ellessebee

I bought 3 of Ninebark at Lowes 3 years ago. A variety of colors. I stuck them in the back of the property as colorful screening. Wooded setting, only a few hours of sun daily and no TLC. Three years later I have a new mission for them. One is still very small and the other 2 were about 7 feet tall but leggy until I cut them back. They were growning among ferns and other garden recluses and struggling to keep their heads above water. After a couple of weeks now they are pushing out new grown towards the bottom. I am hoping that next spring I will have some beautiful plants, and I'm rooting the trimmings.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Trillium project
Hello all - Here is a picture of some of the trillium...
jebfarm
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™