Rust

fmart322(Z6SNJ)June 15, 2006

I was wondering if anybody has ever had a problem with "Rust" on any of their plants and what should I do about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

Yes, Hollyhocks. One year I used mancozeb and that worked. Also I have crabapple seedlings, a few which get rust but I don't treat. What do you have rust on?

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 10:13PM
fmart322(Z6SNJ)

Well, I bought a serviceberry tree from a place around my house. I had the guy order it for me because he didn't have it in stock. When I picked it up on wednesday I didn't notice it. Yesterday, after really getting a good look at it it had all the tell tale sign of rust.

I haven't planted it yet, and I'm not going to because I'm going to return it today. I was just wondering if it could have infected anything I already have in my garden. It's about 20' from anything else in my yard.

I was going to plant it close to my neighbors apple tree's but after reading up in rust I don't think it's a good idea. She doesn't take ggod care of her tree's and they are loaded with a spotting leaf diease.

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 4:41AM
Loretta NJ Z6

Well, you might have infected your neighbor's crabapple! Really, no one can guarantee that for sure. In order for the rust to spread, a host for that particular rust needs to be present. Do you grow anything that might be affected by the same type of rust? Besides that, how do you know which particular rust you have? Here is one link that lists a few strains and what they attack.
Get rid of it. This year, I didn't spray my hollyhocks. They are just about to bloom and they look so bad, I am going to chop them down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gymnosporangium rusts

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 12:57AM
jktw48

What is rust? My flowering crabapple tree lost leaves early last fall and now many limbs are dead. I have a lot of suckers sprouting up from roots. A few leaves are yellow with green spots. I am new at this ... any advice would be appreciated!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
My neighbor is walking his dog to poop in my yard
I have a neighbor who seems to be "marking territory"...
hackwriter
Finally Got Garlic Planted Today
What a beautiful day today! A bit late, but should...
agardenstateof_mind
Where to buy indoor plants in NJ? and pots.
My first time with houseplants. So far I've bought...
ellenr22
Garlic
Anyone ever try growing garlic? Tried searching the...
ourbackyard
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™