Shade-Tolerant Plants that can be seeded in July

bbeyerJune 28, 2012

Okay ... so I discovered that in general leafy green vegetables do best in shady gardens. My association (as a long-ago, not very good gardener!) is that these are generally early spring crops (not July/Aug). Does anyone have suggestions for any of these that could be seeded now? Maybe there's a big difference between kale vs. chard vs. mustard greens vs. spinach, etc.

Any advice? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbeyer

Okay, I think I was way off. Here's from an online Farmer's Almanac:

29th-30th Extra Good For Planting Fall Lettuce, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Collards, And Leafy Vegetables. All Aboveground Crops Planted Now Will Do Well. Plant Seedbeds.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 6:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

From Pegi Ballister-Howells' "Month by Month Gardening in New Jersey", the following can be direct seeded in

July:
cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, greenbeans, peas, summer squash, sweet corn.

August:
beets, leafy greens, lettuces, chinese cabbage

Radishes and cukes are listed for June, but you could given them a try, depending on how much shade and how dense - cukes sometimes appreciate a little shade from the hottest summer sun.

Again, depending on the amount and density of shade, green beans may be worth a try. Zucchini is so vigorous, maybe give it a try, especially a bush type. Expect it to spread more in the shade.

It will be a good experiment and learning experience for the children as long as they have some successes in there. Besides, it's always fun while gardening to test the limits and the investment in seeds is pretty low.

Your cukes, zucchini and certain other veggies might be more susceptible to powdery mildew. Be especially careful about garden hygiene, water the soil not the plants, and be on the lookout for early symptoms - there are some kid and environmentally friendly options to control p.m.

I also have only a few small spots that get half-day sun, but I've just got to have my veggie garden! I've even planted some in the front yard, much to my neighbor's dismay ... she's not up on the "edible landscaping" trend yet.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Leland Cypress Hedge in Northern NJ?
Hi All - Any suggestions for planting a barrier hedge...
soulbird17
Was Last Winter Colder Than This Year?
Even with all the snow and cold weather, my bamboo...
redsun9
Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey
There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees...
elman23
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™