container,indoor,epiphite,w/rock in water tray,ideas/

Tonia FrankOctober 21, 2005

Saw a couple interesting cont. gardens lately, one with a large stone (not even lava rock),moss,ivy, etc., in a larger saucer with water, and water plant (I call it an umbrella?). I have a stone,a sentimental one, found a soneware, tray, I think needs to be treated w/poly.? Would like to arrange a garden for my sign. others B-day. Will have bright lite, no direct sun. Am considering letting it live in his office (flor. lite)? Can I use epiphites (spec. suggs?) on the stone, tying moss loosly to help with attach., and water plants in saucer below, possibly a Beta (since they require so little water)? Also advice on waiting period after waterproofing, and safest product to use. Pics. would be so great for ideas too. Thanks much!

I'm so excited to see if I can pull this together by 11/21.

Tonia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Japanese art forms that incorporate living plant material into a dish garden setting or a landscape in a tray or on a rock are called either kusamono or saikei, and there is some info available on the internet. Kusamono leans heavily toward plantings of small native plants in bonsai dishes or trays with an emphasis on grasses. Saikei, is usually a planting on an interesting rock (most often to represent a mountain scene) or a planting in a tray that incorporates rock or other natural material and is presented as a miniature landscape scene.

It sounds like the plant you described might be schefflera arboricola.

In most instances, a more natural appearance is achieved if no waterproofing is used on the rocks, and adherence of epiphytes would certainly be improved by using materials in their natural state. The exception would be when using wood products (old branches, stumps, etc.) that contact moist soil.

There are few mosses that will grow indoors w/o constant misting.

There may be books available at the library, on e-bay, or through a book seller. You can also search the net using the words provided above as key words for photos and additional info.

Al

Bookmark   October 21, 2005 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Hedge Help
Hi there I am a complete gardening novice. We have...
slmccabe25
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
Hey guys.. i need help with strawberries
Okay so I'm fairly new to growing strawberries. Where...
danny.wullve
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™