Plumeria

chig(6)June 7, 2006

Hello,

I am new to garderning. I just bought 2 cutting from Hawaii for a white and pink plumeria plants. I'm not sure if anyone has had any success growing these outside as trees in NJ. I am wondering if I should pot these in pots first and then transfer the plant when it gets larger. Can this be done and if so, when do I do the transfer. Also any advise on how to plant them. I bought some Scotts continous feed potting soil today but am still nervous about startig the planting so any suggestions/ ideas will help me!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

Plumeria do best when their roots are tight in the pot -- so don't transfer them until they've become well-established in the pots they're in now.

For more detailed info, check out the Plumeria forum here, which has lots of experts, but generally they like it hot and humid, with lots and lots of sun and regular water and fertilizing.

They should do fine outside for the summer, but you'll have to winter them indoors.

Good luck!

Jim

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 12:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

You don't have a small child do you? My toddler kept yanking mine. The smooth stem and the Seussian leaves were somehow irresistable. After about five yanks and de-rootings, it gave up the ghost.

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Monmouth County Master Gardeners Spring Garden Day is May 15 / 16 at
Sale of Annuals, Perennials; Hanging baskets; container...
blrhudugi
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Birds Ruining My Mountain Laurels
Yesterday, I had my arborist come by to review some...
Laurie
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™