lantana looks sick

souppeggy(z8GA)October 5, 2005

I have lantana that has been planted in clay soil for years and it did quite well. However, this year it started off fine with blooms and then it started getting black shriveled up leaves on the ends of the stems and then all the leaves had this white colored look like I had put seven dust on them which I hadn't. I cut the stems way back and they came back looking the same. What's the problem. Thanks for your thoughts on this subject.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Without seeing your lantana in person, it's difficult to be certain. We can tell you, though, some of the problems that lantana is susceptible to. Your verbal description sounds quite a bit like powdery mildew, though this is not something that troubles lantana very often. If your plant is overcrowded or growing in some shade, this could be an option. Spider mites can often take out lantana, and the lantana lacebug is becoming more and more of an issue in the South. This insect, which can be seen on the underside of the leaves, makes the upper side speckly/silvery/white-ish.

If you could send a good image, or pump up the volume on your description, we could narrow it down better.

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 2:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darcy714

Did you ever figure out what it was? I have the same thing happening to mine. There are no bugs, and it is happening to every single lantana on my property - in several beds on an acre. We have had lots of rain this season...could that be it? It looks just terrible, and has been such a terrific performer in the past, I'm just sick about it. Were you able to save it? What happened?

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Stopping grass growing under picket fence
We have moved into a new home. The front border has...
Ennoh
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
Trisodium phosphate (TSP) use near plants and soil?
Hi all, painting my entrance way which has a small...
chickenschwarma
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Floral Scroll Green 7 ft. 7
Home Depot
James Martin Furniture Castilian 60 in. Single Vanity - Aged Cognac Multicolor -
Hayneedle
Metal Decorative Mirror
Overstock.com
Seaside Rattan Trays - Set of 3
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Kraus Kitchen Combo Set Stainless Steel 31.5 Undermount Sink with Faucet
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Lanart Rugs Flamenco Gold 8 ft. x 10 ft.
Home Depot
Cordless Soft Pine Garland
Grandin Road
Tiffany Stained Glass Green Trimmed Mediterranean Style Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™