Science Project

hollyhOctober 25, 2007

My Daughter and a classmate are doing a school project on plants. The project name "Do plants grow faster in soil, sand, or water. My questions are How to plant a seed in sand only, and planting a seed in only a cup of water? The seeds the girls choose are a blanket flower (Gaillardia Aristata). Anyone willing to give there opinions, Please Help....

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Unless the soil is highly porous, it would not be a good test. Use a good soil-less potting medium, or plain vermiculite. And unless the sand were kept moist, it would also be a poor test of 'faster' growth. The seeds dropped in plain water will rot. Why don't you use sand, potting medium, and vermiculite for the experiment and ditch the water?

You see, seeds (and plants) require oxygen in order to germinate and thrive just as much as they do water and sunlight and CO2. If the soil is mucky and the water stagnant, the seeds just won't do much.

A better 'experiment' might be to take cuttings of the same kind of easy-to-root houseplant (like pothos) for an experiment. 'In which medium will cuttings ROOT faster: potting medium (soilless), sand, or water'?

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 3:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

There is a 1999-2000 science project with this name cached at the link below. Good description and a picture of the student, not the results for some curious reason.

Here is a link that might be useful: Science project

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
Stopping grass growing under picket fence
We have moved into a new home. The front border has...
Ennoh
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™