ISO native narrow evergreen bush/tree

jsneersAugust 7, 2013

Hello,

I'm renovating my narrow side yard on a city lot and replacing plants with natives. If possible, I would like a native evergreen (not deciduous) medium/large bush or short tree to plant along my fence. The bush/tree must grow taller than 4' but not much wider than 5-6'. Or, if it grows wider, it must look decent when trimmed back to that width, at least for its first 6 feet (meaning, from the ground to 6' ft high), I'd be happy to keep it trimmed back to 5' in width.

Additional info: soil is naturally clay but I've spent 6 years amending it with compost, mulch--the differences remarkable. Also, the space receives only an hour or two of direct sun but the remainder of the day it is in very bright shade.

TIA! I'm dying for some privacy and would love to get the shrubs/bushes planted ASAP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You are limiting yourself unnecessarily if you are looking only for natives that are both narrow and evergreen. About the only one I can think of is a selection of any one of a number of cultivars of American arborvitae, Thuja occidentalis. And these not all that happy in so much shade.

Other possibility might be a Rhododendron, but a more suitable choice would be one of the hybrids rather than a native species.

Is there an overriding need to stick solely to natives? A great many non-native plants are extremely well suited to gardens without upsetting the ecological balance :-)) And if one really wants to stick to pure natives, then they should be limited to plants that only grow naturally in one's immediate area - an even more limited selection.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 5:24PM
kchd(7b/8a MS)

I'm not sure what your hardiness zone is, but here are a few suggestions for you to mull over:
American yew, Taxus canadensis
Waxmyrtle, Morella cerifera (but not native to MA)
Inkberry, Ilex glabra

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:37AM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)
    Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™