Blue Sterling Nursery

Loretta NJ Z6June 30, 2007

On a whim, I went to their open house today. Turns out it was their last one ever. Woodside Nursery is sold and they only did it because they were friends. We didn't talk about BSN much but they do have some very nice, reasonably priced, some hard to get conifers and other plants. They had full sized rose bushes for $5 and $10, standards for $15 - not to rub it in since we can't buy direct anymore...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

Just going to move this down.

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 10:38PM
pontesmanny(z6/7 S NJ)

I had been to Blue Sterling in 2002 and bought a Viburnum Conoy and a hamamelis Jelena. They are all doing well. They do have an especially nice selection of conifers, though. Their prices seems to have been cheaper this year.

manny

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 1:39PM
lad6b

My wife and I also went to Woodside and to Blue Stirling last Saturday. We bought a very nice Halesia monticola 'Rosea' at Woodside and are very sorry that he's closing.

We did not buy anything this year at BSN and have a slightly different opinion of the two nurseries BSN has marvelous stuff that is hard to find anywhere else, but I still recall buying a Tsuga canadensis 'Sargentii' a couple of years ago and I haver before or since seen a plant so rootbound in the pot. I had to cut the pot in two to remove the plant and spent an eternity separating the roots before planting. On another occasion we saw a Pseudolarix amabilis at BSN and thought it too expensive A week later we saw the plant with Blue Stirling's label on the pot for $20 less at Marlboro.

Both plants are doing well.

I'm sorry BSN will no longer have an open house, but much more sorry that Daryl Apps is selling his nursery.

LAD

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™