Native Orchid

ritaweedaAugust 29, 2010

I've found this wild orchid on my property, the closest thing to it in the native flower book is a long-horn orchid, but there are many different varieties of the Habenaria species. Does anyone out there know? I will also post on the native and orchid forums. Here are a couple of pix:

and

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladywindsurfer(Z7 SE)

I believe that your ID is correct and it is Habenaria quinqueseta (longhorn bog orchid).
Another very similar species, Habenaria macroceratitis (big-horn bog orchid), is now being recognized. It normally has longer spurs (>10cm) and the distal spacing is also larger. It is usually found in a more tropical location.
Since both species are variable, it would likely be difficult to distinguish between them.

Link has distribution map and photos of Habenaria quinqueseta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Plant Atlas - Habenaria quinqueseta

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 5:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ritaweeda

Thanks, others have also said it looks like Habenaria quinqueseta, which I saw in the book title: Florida Wild Flowers and Roadside Plants by C. Ritchie Bell and Bryan J. Taylor, just wasn't sure. When I Googled Habenaria there were several other species in that genus listed so I wanted confirmation. Again, thanks.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™