Duh!

mamimo(Sunset 16)October 16, 2005

Now this has gotta be a mistake exclusive to newbies! I have been agonizing for a while on what to plant in a particular spot in the backyard. After many weeks of reading books, browsing catalogues, I finally decided to go with a red twig dogwood. I spent much time looking for one and finally got a little one just now. Then I happily park the car in the garage and headed out to plant my new baby. But hey! This little guy suddenly looked VERY familiar. Wait a second, isn't it the same plant as those flanking my garage door?

DUH! So I have 2 red twig dogwoods by my garage all this while (put in by builder) and I didn't even realize that! And to think I was trying to id those plants earlier this year without any success. Now I know what they are and how big they can get, I guess I'll have to dig those 2 by the garage out and find a new home for them.

On the other hand, I did get a good buy while getting my dogwood. They had a stack of 15-20 heavy duty tomato cages that are a little stuck together. The manager of the garden center said they didn't want to spend time untangling it and that I can have the whole stack for a quarter :-) Guess I'm growing tomatoes next year!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

hehe, that is funny about the dogwood.

Bookmark   October 16, 2005 at 8:24PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Believe me, not exclusive to newbies -- especially if we 'impulse-buy' without our notebook. That's why DH has orders to buy no more blueberries until he checks to see if he already has one or two... or three... ah, would you believe this spring he came in with yet another plant that was the same as last fall's, and last spring's and...

Bookmark   October 17, 2005 at 12:26PM
tracey_nj6(6)

Funny story, but you're not alone, believe me. In my beginner days, I'd come home with a plant only to find out I already had it!

You hit the jackpot with the tomato cages! Congratulations! Tomato cages aren't only for tomatoes, they're great for dahlias as well...

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
Hedge Help
Hi there I am a complete gardening novice. We have...
slmccabe25
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
tinytigereryes
Sprayed roundup weed killer
Sprayed roundup weed killer on my lawn by accident....
stephen
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™