When to plant gardenia bush in ground?

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)March 23, 2013

OK, here I am, back from Logee's and looking at my baby gardenia bush "Frostproof". I'm certainly keeping it indoors, in south window, but I need to know your advice on when to plant it outside. Is there a soil temperature I should aim at? Or just April 15, or May 15, or when?

And what other advice do you have? How often to water the little 4" pot while indoors? Temperamental (the plant, and maybe me too) - Whether it should be in full sun now, or filtered shade? I found this info about bud drop online:

"Common causes include low humidity, over-watering, under-watering, insufficient light, high temperatures, rapid temperature fluctuations, cold drafts or change in plant locations."

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Carol, for certain you don't want to let it dry out, so having a tiny pot in a sunny window will require careful monitoring and because of this I don't think overwatering would be an issue. I can't say that I'd be comfortable with placing a such a small plant directly in the garden but when you do, it will need a lot of attention while it gets established. A small plant won't be able to survive a hot, dry spell for long, or an insect attack for example. But as with all plants that have been in a greenhouse, if it's not actively growing now, you could probably put it out now and let it start to get going. On the other hand, it it's putting out new growth already, then you should probably wait until it's warmer outdoors. But I would suggest placing the pot outside in SHADE for a few hours each day when it's above say 40. That will start to acclimatize it to the outdoors. Good luck with it!

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
Ferjulian's, Brigham Nursery, & Gerards's
Ferjulian in Hudson, MA I discovered this nice hidden...
mrtulin
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Braided Abaca Rug
Serena & Lily
Carlisle Etagere in Gray Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Rose, Lily & Berry Bouquet
$12.99 | zulily
Lonesome Peak Art Print
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
Rose Candleabrum Silk Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com