Can Manzanita grow in New york, On Long Island?

mirrodie(z7)October 5, 2005

I just came back from LA and fell in love with manzanita trees. Their foliage and bark are so pretty.

Any chance of finding out the success of getting one to grow on long Island?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I doubt very much that it would thrive in your location, but a good way to find out more about this west coast plant would be to contact growers. You should be able to locate numerous nurseries on the internet, and can call or email them directly. An email or phone call to Los Angeles County extension service would provide you with good information, as well. It probably won't be the first time that they have had such a question. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 12:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

To find out how to grow them in NY, find out why they grow so well in the south/west and ask yourself if you can replicate those conditons.

If you are wondering if you can grow them in the ground the answer is no. If you are wondering if you can grow them in a pot then the answer is maybe. Growing in a container allows you to move the plant around so it is always getting the most favorable conditions.

The above is all very generic advice, I personally know nothing about growing Manzanita.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Hedge Help
Hi there I am a complete gardening novice. We have...
slmccabe25
Pumpkin flower (hydroponic)
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
valencia orange tree
We bought a Valencia tree 4 or 5 years ago and its...
coralroses
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™