Compost in Middlesex County (or Mercer . . . or anywhere)

joeb.njJune 29, 2007

Can anyone suggest a compost supplier--i.e., a company that I can pay to deliver a few yards of clean compost to my home? Mike McGrath refers to the stuff like it's everywhere, but I've had very little luck. My municipality (Edison) puts its annual leaf compost out each year, but there's not much and it's gone in about five minutes.

Experience tells me that it is easier to find morel mushrooms growing along the Delaware than to find a mulch supply company that will sell me compost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
last1earth

Hello, I too live in Edison. Just wondering how you find out about the 'annual leaf compost' out each year?

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 1:37AM
joeb.nj

They compost the leaves and grass they collect each year. In the spring, they put it out in the parking lot of the public works complex on New Durham Road--halfway between the Ace in Metuchen and I-287. Not sure how you find out when they're putting it out other than to call or drive by. I usually just keep an eye out as I'm driving to Coppola's nursery. Try calling the township, though; maybe they'll be able to give you a date.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 12:15PM
organic49

I also live in Edison, is this the only place they put this leaf compost.There should be several places more near your home, Mayor Choi must be called to start more locations.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 7:50PM
penserosa(z6 NJ)

I tried to get it from Somerset County and they don't make it. :-( They told me to buy it at a garden center. The closest packaged thing I've found is Bumper Crop, which is good stuff, but too expensive to use in quantity.

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 7:55AM
daniellalell

i wouldnt call that clean compost..i heard that they use the stuff they collect with the street sweeper for that. i try to get it every year though..man people grab that like its money, lol.

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 10:58PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

I live in Somerset and two falls ago I hailed the leaf truck and got them to dump a truck full of semi-shredded leaves at the end of my driveway. They were glad to do it as it saved the trip to the compost site. The leaves made a pile about 14X6x4 after I dragged them to the right spot.

Then I chucked in all the post-Halloween pumpkins I could get my hands on, and grounds from the local coffee shop, and eggshells, and banana peels, and bunny poop. By the following May it was suitable for planting - coarse but suitable.

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Excellent Presentation Today - Functional Landscapes
This afternoon I drove up to Frelinghuysen Arboretum...
agardenstateof_mind
Straw Bales for sale in NJ?
Reading "Straw Bale Gardens" and wondering...
jlr518
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
The ABC's of Vegetable Gardening, Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:00
Think “Spring”! Southard Grange #218 is happy to...
a_holovacs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™