Sickles nursery/market.....

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)July 18, 2005

Hate to (in case others haven't found it) give away (i.e. make lines too long.... sell out things I want! :) ) a secret? if some haven't heard of it but I just loooove - especially as of late (last couple of years) sickles market (for those who know of it or not Sickles Market in Little Silver in Monmouth County) and its selection of plants. I've always loved their market but their plant selection is just getting outstanding. I was afraid with their "expansion" that they would be boring / too busy / loose their nice feel. But its far from boring (great selection) and is busy a little busy (oh well good for them bad for me if I do't want a line etc. :) )and it hasn't lost much of its market feel. Its still run I believe by the original Sickles famiy still. It's got to be one of my favorite nurseries in the area. Just had to share. Other have similar or other experiences? They have GREAT customer service and will answer any questions you have (as well). Very knowledgable as well nursery staff (except for this one lasy who told another woman that coriader and cilantro weren't the same plant. I had (to be helpful) to correct her.).

:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Sickles is a nice spot and I don't know that you're giving any secrets away by highlighting. It's been a well known market for years down here. I remember when they were very simple just like Delicious Orchards once used to be.

While I'm not in any dire need for perrenials etc, what I do miss is a good local produce spot (Sickles is a bit on the expensive side for me). That produce spot (I forget the name) was the farm just west of Shrewsbury/Sycamore Ave intersection. Now gone for more housing.

On the plants/shrubs front, I'm a little more partial to Moulzon's (who I feel have better variety; You should check them out for August sales which often times, buy 1 get one free which is a good way to split the cost with a friend for a nice shrub or tree);

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 11:07AM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

Yeah I know its not really a secret..... I myself have been shopping for 30 years there but some may not know about it. :)

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 5:05PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Sickles has a better selection of roses than Molzon's. There is also Colonial Nursery on Front Street, just next to the GSP overpass. It a nice little find.

Laurento Farms is the market on Sycamore that is gone now. Really a shame. Now I pretty much just wait for the farmer's market in Red Bank on Sundays to get my produce, and a couple of vendors have perennials too.

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 2:50PM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

Thanks for the tip about colonial nursery Diane. I'll have to check that out. :)

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Anyone Grows Asian Persimmon in NJ/NY?
It appears Asian persimmons are borderline hardy in...
redsun9
Finally Got Garlic Planted Today
What a beautiful day today! A bit late, but should...
agardenstateof_mind
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™