winter protection advice

kristin03(z5a WI)October 9, 2005

Hello!

I am hoping someone can provide some advice. I began my first perennial garden this summer at our new home. This fall I went to a local nursery and fell in love with Heuchera "Peach Melba", but after planting it I noticed it is hardy only to zone 5 (we are in zone 4)!! It is doing quite well now, planted in southern exposure, about 8 feet from our home foundation. Aside from the shredded hardwood mulch we are using, should I use any extra winter protection so that it makes it through the winter? Thanks in advance,

Kristin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

If it is 8' away from the southern portion of your home's foundation you have already done something additional. You have provided it with a microclimate. The foundation will radiate some heat into the nearby soil and being close to the foundation will minimize exposure from the nasty northerly winter winds.

I can't say if your plant will make it or not, but I think where you have it gives it a really good chance. The mulch is terrific (and I encourage it's use for winter protection), but if you think about it after the snow flies, shovel some snow on the area and try to keep some until it warms up in the early spring. Snow is a fantastic insulator.

Over the years you will notice more cold damage in years with little snow than in years with lots of snow. The moral is pile snow as insulation on plants that are bordeline hardy in your zone.

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Stopping grass growing under picket fence
We have moved into a new home. The front border has...
Ennoh
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
New home with huge garden space - what to plant?
We are moving into our new home this weekend. The...
Nicole Mott
Sponsored Products
GG Antique Copper Hammered Ice Cream Bucket
Classic Hostess
Sea Gull Lighting Ceiling Fans Quality Max 52 in. Misted Bronze Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
Alfresco Home Seviya Ceramic Garden Stool - Earth Brown - 32-1080
$179.99 | Hayneedle
Dimond Winter Harbor Aged Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Winter White Niko Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus