rosemary sticky problems

moniquestOctober 2, 2005

I have these rosemary plants and this time of the yr. they get this white sticky stuff all over them and I thought this was normal until another plant close by now has gotten this-What is it-It is white and wet/sticky .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Is it maybe a spittle bug? I have lots of problems with them on my rosemay and basil plants. I just wash them off and use the plant anyway. They look bad, but don't do a lot of damage.

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 3:50AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Since you use the word 'sticky' to describe your problem, I would guess that you have an infestation of mealybugs, not uncommon to rosemary. A population of spittlebug larvae are almost always described as 'spit'.

A picture would help with ID, however.

In the meantime, you can help manage the pest by applications of insecticidal soap, which can be used on herb plants. I get infestations of spider mites on my rosemary, which makes them sticky as well.

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 11:16AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

FYI, moniquest now thinks that 'spit' is the right word to describe the culprit! There's no doubt, then, that he/she has an infestation of spittlebugs. We don't usually worry too much about these little guys, as ltcollins suggests. Strong sprays of water would remove that spittle nest, making them easier prey for predaceous insects....or an application of insecticidal soap if the population is very high.

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 12:58PM
sandy_village

Thanks for the input...just spotted this a few days ago!

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Sprayed roundup weed killer
Sprayed roundup weed killer on my lawn by accident....
stephen
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
Hedge Help
Hi there I am a complete gardening novice. We have...
slmccabe25
Inherited Garden w/ No Winter Prep
Hello, I'm new to gardening and this forum. I'm seeking...
phillips_em
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™