Transplanting a bald cypress

john(CA)November 3, 2005

How difficult would it be to transplant a bald cypress that is about 7 feet tall? The trunk is about the caliper of my not-particularly-massive forearm.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Prepare for a spring transplanting by root-pruning now. Make intermittent cuts around the circumference of the tree in a circle about the size that will yield the largest root-ball you're comfortable moving. The object is to sever about half the existing roots so that fine, feeder roots will form on the severed roots close to the trunk so you can include them when you move the tree. This will lessen the shock of transplanting and speed re-establishment in its new site. Lift and transplant the tree in spring as soon as frost goes out of the ground or about 2 weeks before you expect buds to move. Dig a hole larger in diameter than necessary. Plant tree with the basal flare exposed and backfill with native soil only. Staking the tree low on the trunk will help speed establishment but remove stakes & guy lines next spring.

If you know your soil, supply an appropriate fertilizer blend that's low in N. Tomato fertilizer is a good choice for fall feeding of trees to be lifted soon.

Al

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
valencia orange tree
We bought a Valencia tree 4 or 5 years ago and its...
coralroses
Sprayed roundup weed killer
Sprayed roundup weed killer on my lawn by accident....
stephen
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
What is this and what does it mean?
There have been little bubbles that harder up on the...
JaviAir
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™