Bamboo growing in public?

newjersey088July 3, 2010

I am with a non-profit, and we are holding a charity concert in the city this coming Wednesday to raise funds for our project in Vietnam. Because it's an asian holiday on the 7th (Wed), we are planning to incorporate that into the theme of our event.

I am looking for bamboo trees, since this is part of the tradition for this holiday called Tanabata. I've been going around to plant stores both in Jersey and in the city, only to find that 5-6ft bamboo trees cost around 150 dollars. Some people I know have told me there are parks and other public areas where there are wild bamboo, and I was wondering if (a) anyone can help me locate them or (b) know any other store/alternative that is cheaper.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

If the plants are growing in public parks, I don't think you are legally able to dig out trees and shrubs (even if we're talking about a bamboo here--a plant many would consider an invasive, non-native weed). You're liable to be fined if not worse. Secondly, there is NO WAY you are going to be able to transplant and successfully propagate bamboo in 100+ degree heat--your plants will be dead before you get them out of the ground. If you had some time, you could have gotten an earlier start and planted some ginger or taro root (both easily and cheaply available in your local Pathmark or Asian market and both prominently Asian plants). Maybe you could still provide the ginger and/or taro among with some simple growing instruction. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 9:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

Rutger's Cook's College has a huge bamboo patch. You could probably work something out with them.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 4:08AM
More Discussions
Unusual Temperature in December
60 F or so. It is warm.... Feels nice, but may not...
redsun9
Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey
There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees...
elman23
This weekends cold spell and tree question
Well, this weekend officially ended my dahlias growing...
eterprincess
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™