Garlic

Michael33b(7B)November 15, 2012

I am new to gardening and this is my first month growing anything. Well I decided to grow some garlic because it is supposedly the easiest thing to grow. With that being said, I planted 20 cloves of garlic and all of them have sprouted, is this normal? Or should I have waited to plant them? I'm in Dacula GA zone 7B

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ziyakr(6)

This is my first year trying garlic, but since no one else has responded here goes...yes, it seems to be normal for fall sprouts. My planted cloves have them, and they were in a very useful the photo tutorial I found here on gardenweb but now can't find second time. This thread was also useful to me, since I've planted my garlic in 11 gal tubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic in containers?

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 3:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If you plant in late autumn to early winter, when there's some warmth in the soil still, then the roots will start, and pause over winter, then get going again in spring.

It's normal for them to sprout at this time, though they probably won't grow very high yet.

When February comes, or early March, you could feed them with a fertiliser quite high in nitrogen. Ask at your local garden centre.

Keep them well-weeded.

They should be ready late July or early August. Loosen the roots first then pull them up and trim off the roots. Then leave them in the sun to dry for one to two weeks - or out of any rain.

You can trim the tops back to about six inches - or plait them and hang up the bunch for kitchen use.

If you leave them in the ground then some of the bulbs are likely to flower the following year.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 2:33AM
More Discussions
Overwhelmed
I've dabbled in plants and gardening for a long time,...
randeye
Stopping grass growing under picket fence
We have moved into a new home. The front border has...
Ennoh
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™