When do you plant your peas?

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)March 8, 2010

Here we are in early March and (now making a larger veg. garden and my list of what to grow in it) I'm wondering when to put in peas. Something I remember having heard: St. Patrick's Day? Seems awfully early.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leira(6 MA)

I put mine in on April 4th last year. They seemed maybe a little slow in coming up, but they didn't rot or anything.

So, either I hit the timing OK, or I planted them early and they were content to wait for the right time.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 8:54PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I had always heard that you plant your peas on St. Patrick's Day also. I did do that one year and they did quite well. Now I winter-sow things, so I usually have them done a bit earlier. I would have sown them this weekend but I lost the seeds....

Are you planting in zone 6 or 7?

:)
Dee

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 10:22PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I always aim for Saint Patrick's Day. Some years there is snow on the ground and the ground is frozen. A few years, I 've been able to do that. I do vegetables in rais*ed beds and they thaw out earlier. I also do peas in large containers with tripods, so I can do that anytime. Whether they will sprout and grow right away is another matter.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 3:54AM
staceyneil

I was just about to post about this.

I've planted on St.Patricks Day before, but we're forecast to have a rainy week next week. So I was considering sowing this week. I;'m near the coast in Maine (near Falmouth/Yarmouth/Portland) and temps have been -and are forecast to be- in the 40s for weeks.

Is there any reason why NOT to plant now?

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How are you guys holding up in this "Snowpocalypse"??
Hi guys, haven't been posting much, but still lurk...
terrene_ma
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™