Fothergilla Gardenii

gastrocJuly 26, 2010

For whatever reason, my other post won't load.

I was wondering if anyone has planted fothergilla gradenii. We want to replace our boxwoods with these pretty shrubs but we don't know much about them. No one we know has them!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

I have a couple of them, not sure which cultivar, but they are hardy little shrubs with nice spring flowers and wonderful fall foliage coloring. They are native to the southeastern US, but do well here in NJ. They do like a rich, moist but well-drained soil - so if you have sandy soil like I do here in coastal Monmouth County, you will probably want to amend with organic matter.

Keep in mind, however, that your boxwoods are evergreen and the fothergilla is deciduous, so will be bare through the winter months. If you prefer something evergreen, you might want to check out inkberry holly (ilex glabra) - a link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inkberry Holly

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 10:23PM
steve_nj(7-a)

Boxwoods are deer resistant as well.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 10:27PM
yonderpond(8)

The Frelinghuysen Arboretum in Morristown NJ has a beautiful shade border with a row of Fothergilla. You would have to ask for information on where this border is located, because the place is vast and every inch is beautiful, well worth the visit.

I have one Fothergilla 'Blue Mist' which is attractive year round. In winter the branching pattern is beautiful, but I don't know how it would look as a hedge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frelinghuysen Arboretum

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 1:17PM
classytchrnj(snj6b)

I purchased mine in the spring from Pope's Gardens in Waterford. They are airy shrubs - not dense like boxwoods. Leslie

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 8:38PM
agardenstateof_mind

One of my favorite nurseries in the area is Rare Find Nursery in Jackson, and they usually have a great sale in August. Their website, rarefindnursery.com, has a link for directions; they're just a little way off route 195.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
WANTED: Wanted: Gardenia Cuttings
Would like to take some gardenia cuttings.
redsun9
Excellent Presentation Today - Functional Landscapes
This afternoon I drove up to Frelinghuysen Arboretum...
agardenstateof_mind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™