I have Germination!

dbarron(z7_Arkansas)August 1, 2014

Just had to share a 'Sqwwwee' moment...of germination.
I started a mixed flat of coreopsis lanceolata and Engelmannia peristenia about a week ago....and was hoping that the summer temps wouldn't be too high for germination.

As of this morning, I have at least ten set of little cotyledons of each...sprouting started yesterday.

I started them with intentions of transplanting them into my fencerow in September (when hopefully rains will recommence) for naturalization.

I hope to wintersow some salvia azura (assuming my plants do produce seeds this fall for me) and maybe liatris pycnostachys (also waiting on almost certain seed set) to add a bit more color.

Anyone got anything exciting germinating? Any suggestions for something else I should get planted (I have a number of things now)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TexasRanger10(7)

I'm still waiting for germination on the sand sage but the ring muhly is coming along fine. I plan to set them in the ground in late August which will give them plenty of time to put down some more roots. Its a good time to sow for fall planting in Oklahoma.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 2:51PM
TexasRanger10(7)

Update. I just checked, one sand sage has germinated. One plant is all I want, I hope I don't kill it. Its such a mild summer its good for starting seed, I wouldn't have sowed in summer in 2011 or 2012 under the heat dome during the prolonged drought.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 4:39PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Congrats...and you are giving me that one sand sage, right ? :0 (just teasing...it'd be deadly for it here)

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 6:41PM
TexasRanger10(7)

No Barron, its MINE. The Ranger won't share.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 7:30PM
adidas(6/7)

Well, it's not exciting per se BUT...am wondering....I inadvertently germinated some liatris seeds.....they germinated 2 days ago...I'm guessing they won't be of a good size to plant out by Fall so I was considering growing them indoors over Fall and Winter and putting them out in Spring...can they survive next to a window or do I need plant lights, special set up etc etc to insure their survival?? (I live in No VA mtns....nothing like the TX growing season I'm sure :)

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 7:24AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I would suggest they have a better chance outdoors unless you have a greenhouse.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 9:59AM
adidas(6/7)

No greenhouse....I'll plant them out....thank-you!!

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 7:35AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Sorry I am late to this thread. I went into an old box of seed and some emptying out. did a summer planting of 5 year old Aristolochia erecta (swan flower) , scutelleria drumundi, fresh aescalus pavia var flavenscens hybrid collected from the Perdenales river, 3 year old seed of Arroyo sweetwood and we have Blast off. I have ONE ring Muhley. I will try some more in a more drained soil. There is more Out there. Oh yea, Rayless gaillardia from the Ranger.

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
Buttonbush: sun or shade?
I have a question about a plant I received for free...
crabbygardener
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™