UNDERSTANDING Giant Coneflower.....

gardenlady48(z5 IL)August 24, 2011

Hello~

I have several clumps of rudbeckia maxima in different gardens. This early summer we had some heavy storms and I found numerous stalks that fell over. I took the uprooted stalks, applied root hormone and potted them up. The original stems stayed green for a while, then turned brown, BUT at the base of one pot, new sprouts grew. Hooray!. The other pot, rooted I believe, but the original also turned brown. Is this the nature of the plant? This years stems decline at the end of the season and then new sprouts develop. I have a healthy clump that looks pretty rough every season this time of the year, then spring comes and they are beautiful? Can anyone comment on this plant's reproduction, propagation etc.?

Thank you for your time. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

I have also noticed variability in growth patterns of this species. But then I'm farther north and it is considered to be a more southern type plant. I have about 1/2 dozen plants and I never know at the start of each season which ones will bloom and which won't. So I continue to try to germinate more each year in hope of always having some in bloom.
But they are so worth the effort, don't you think?

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 9:01PM
gardenlady48(z5 IL)

they are so worth the effort..I try to germinate the seeds every late winter....love the bluish leaves and the visual effect they have in the garden.
happy gardening!

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 10:49AM

Gardenlady-have you figured out what magic is required to get them to germinate?

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 11:53PM
cactusgarden

I got seeds of G. Coneflower and plan to sow them. I will report my results. One question I have is this. Will they bloom in partial sun, dappled, like the ordinary coneflowers do or do they need full sun? Anyone tried that?

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 5:55PM

Mine have been in full sun with well drained moisture retentive soil.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 1:18AM
oliveoyl3

Yes, they'll bloom in part sun-shade, but have less blooms. I deadhead the early blooms for more blooms later. They're good winter sow candidates. Be patient. Mine from seed didn't blooms this year, but will next I hope.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 10:55AM
cactusgarden

Thanks for the information. I always have to ask because anything that will perform well in part shade is something I need. I think I will do these in full sun and add them to my wintersowing seeds, a list that keeps expanding.

I heard they don't do well in very dry soil. Any comments? We are in drought conditions here and it will determine where I plant them if I'm successful with the seeds. How about heat tolerance? We had 100+ for two months this summer.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 8:24PM

They are a more southern type of Rudbeckia so I would think they will prefer your place than mine. I'm thinking that all Rudbeckia prefer the more moister environment, on the edge of a swampy ground perhaps.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 2:23PM
soxxxx

I cut off some stalks with the seed heads attached and threw them into the edge of the woods where I throw stuff to self compost. Several plants have self seeded there. I do not want them and have not watered them, but they stubbornly continue to grow.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™