tamerisk pink cascade

greenlady65January 19, 2008

I live in Northern Ontario

Z2B but I sucsessfully grow z5 due to heavy snow cover. My question is can I safley plant the Tamerisk Pink Cascade without causing a problem in my garden or the native landscape. I was in Utah last year and saw the devastation on the banks of the green river. The Tamerisk has completely taken over everything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

I have a tamarisk, planted as a 1-gallon container about 3-4 years ago. I don't know if it's Pink Cascade or Summer Glow. Although it's healthy and grows just fine every year, I have not yet seen it bloom. By the end of the season last year it had reached about 3.5' in height. It has not suckered and so far has kept a narrow, upright shape. It gets cut back severely each spring as soon as I see some buds starting, which are generally only from below the snow line.

I have a number of shrubs and perennials in close proximity and have not had anything troubled by the tamarisk.

I've read that it is not invasive in a very cold climate.

Bookmark   January 20, 2008 at 7:19PM
msbeekeeper(Zone 3)

I really think there isn't any chance this plant would ever become invasive in your area. I live in Zone 3 and am happy if I can get it to winter. It dies back and then tries very hard to get going but the cold weather always comes before it does much.So it's back to square one next year.

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 10:28AM
cheerpeople

Zone 5 and I don't think it will ever get invasive here either.
It isn't a real speedy grower but I love the foliage.

I have read that the plant can be burned, cut and still root.
I am using rooting hormone on nice not-burned cuttings, and all kinds of tender care and am getting about 2 out of 3 to strike roots.

Worth a try if you want to grow more...

Karen

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
yellow magnolia tree
Is it to late to move a small magnolia tree that is...
diane_v_44
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™