Can you ID these plants?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAAugust 28, 2007

Hi,

I was walking around a natural area while visiting a friend and saw what looked like natives and I wondered if they are and if someone could identify them for my friend? The fourth photo is a little blurry, it was pretty windy..but it looked like burrs on the top.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louise_shade

Hi,
The yellow flower in the last picture is Oenothera biennis, evening primrose, a native that can be found in most states.
Louise

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri plants

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 6:35AM
ernestm(z4)

Pics 1 and 2 look like Desmodium Canadense AKA Showy/Canada Tick Trefoil. It is a native and pretty easy to grow.

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 10:57AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thank you both..looks like the only one left unidentified is pic #3. The 4th photo is too blurry to see. I was wondering if #3 is that invasive weed that is in all our waterways?

Thanks very much for the help. I wonder where they came up with the common name 'tick trefoil'? Do you suppose it attracts ticks?

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 12:18PM
razorback33(z7)

Tick Trefoil is so named because the seed attach themselves to almost anything or anyone that brushes against the seed pods. Also called Beggar-ticks & Beggar-lice. A walk through a field of them, when the seed are ripe, can be very annoying, as your socks and pant legs will be covered with seed, each having to be picked off individually.
It is a valuable plant for wildlife, as the link below explains.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Tick Trefoil

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 1:19PM
Carrie B

# 3 could very well be "that invasive weed". Compare it to purple loosestrife, lythrum salicaria.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple loosestrife

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 3:38PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Sorry, it took so long to reply, I don't think I always get notification from GW of a response in my inbox.

Razorback...thanks very much for that link. I think you are completely correct that it is Tick Trefoil. Thanks for Identifying it for me and the link was very helpful.

carrie...I was thinking that might be the infamous purple loosestrife. Too bad it is getting a foothold there. I hope they will get it out of there before it takes over.

Thanks for the links...
:-)
pm2

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™