Thank you Guacamole Don for................

DonnaDelaware(7A)July 11, 2014

finally identifying the blue hosta on the right in this photo as 'H' sieboldiana. It was in your top 10 photos. It was also one of the first hostas I planted in my garden.

Thanks again. The mystery has been solved.

DD

P.S. As a bonus, you also identified my Fortunei aureomarginata.

This post was edited by DonnaDelaware on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 0:45

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_in_colorado

Well, you're very welcome, Donna. At least, that's what the tag read for my blue, so... Glad to help : )

Don B.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 3:31AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

'H' sieboldiana

==>>> that is a descriptive for a 'group' of hosta.. that are large and blue with s. heritage ... of which all blue plants have .....

it does not an ID a given a single plant ... it just says it belongs to that group ...

but it is really hard.. to ID a big blue hosta... as they tend to all look alike ..

not to mention ... that they sold elegans from seed under the cultivar name for decades.. before they realized they did not come true from seed ...

was this plant recently bought????

there much have been a previous post which i missed .. or i would not have interfered with dons accolades ...

ken

ps: H. sieboldiana.. as written thus.. would make it a species.. and i THINK ... schmid reduced such from species status ... but you can research that at the link ... a pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: link is a pdf ... and do note.. there is apart 2 ... if you dont fall asleep reading part one... lol ...

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:15AM
don_in_colorado

Is this for Donna's benefit or mine, Ken? I'm familiar with the history of this plant. If Donna got an I.D. to her satisfaction, knowing how so many big blue varieties are nearly identical, so what?

Crikey, man!

Don B.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 6:29PM
DonnaDelaware(7A)

The hosta labeled on Page 33 as 'H' Sieboldiana looks exactly like mine and that is good enough for me.

DD

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
Dogs in the Hosta Beds
My senior Gsd\aussie mix liked to help in the gardens...
smorz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™