Plant identification

sphinx_faceAugust 2, 2013

I have several plants I need to identify because a bunch of things started growing in a patch of dirt we aquired to fill a depression in our yard. I am curious to find out what they are to help determine if they are worth saving and just cause I'm curious. :) I guess I need to start with one at a time?

This one is about 6" tall, the leaves about 3" long and alternating in a spiral formation. I think the leaves are an ovoid shape, the base is oblique and attenuate. Some hairs grow on the leaf undersides, leaf stems and sepals.

The flowers are a white/creamy yellow color, when flattened are a little over an inch wide and are growing at the leaf base. It's like one large star shaped petal (bell?) with 5 points and the anthers are rather large.

It has some off shoot branches at the base but mainly one tall stem that is also a little purple tinted closer to the base of the plant.

I'm not sure if this whole explanation was necessary, or if the picture was enough... Thanks! ;)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

It appears to be in the Solanaceous family, the family that includes Nightshades, Tomatoes and Potatoes.

Does the flower have a darker coloured throat? There is a chance your plant is of the genus Physalis. Physalis heterophylla is fairly common but the yellow flowers are usually pendulus and have distinct darker markings.

Mike

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 9:01PM
sphinx_face

Thanks that really helps narrow it down I think. It looks a lot like those lantern plants but its not very tall. I think I'll just post my next pic on this same thread instead of making a new one to see how it goes. I haven't really spent time investigating this one so I don't have much to say about it ;)

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 11:26PM
sphinx_face

The next one is weird, it's some type of grass growing out of a gross looking root, with lots of spindly little orange roots.... It seems almost impossible to identify without it growin more but maybe someone knows?

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 4:11PM
sphinx_face

Here is what the root looks like, there are TONS of these in the dirt pile...

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 4:12PM
sphinx_face

Columbine? One is more green, the other is blueish and purpleish green.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 4:20PM
sphinx_face

These seeds are all over my yard and sprouting out like in the picture. I tried to grow one in a pot outside and it was doing extremely well until a caterpillar ate it... Is it a laurel?

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 4:24PM
esh_ga

Could that second be an iris perhaps? Yes, the 3rd appears to be Columbine. Don't know about the last.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 8:56PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

The second image in this thread might be of a cudweed, Gnaphalium sp.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™