Far north catalogs?

wyndwalkr(z4 WI)January 23, 2005

Could any of you nice but also frozen people out there suggest a mail order source for nursery stock specific to zones 2,3,and 4? I live in zone 4 but try to buy zone 3 items because of windy ridge location. Mainline catalogs have slim pickin's. Online would be okay, but don't you really love an afternoon curled up with a hot cuppa and a colorful nursery wish book, with January howling outside?!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northeastwisc(4)

Could you be a little more specific on what you are looking for - trees, shrubs, perennial flowers, ...?

Bookmark   January 23, 2005 at 11:55PM
wyndwalkr(z4 WI)

All three you mentioned--primarily trees and shrubs and foundation plantings.
Thanks

Bookmark   January 24, 2005 at 5:41PM
northeastwisc(4)

For trees and shrubs, Great Lakes Nursery near Merril, WI has a focus on hardiness. These are primarily native trees and shrubs, so they are not going to have the popular cultivars you'd see at many nurseries. Here's their website:
http://www.greatlakesnursery.com/Fall%202004%20Spring%202005%20Price%20List.htm

For fruit trees, nut trees and a few shrubs and berries, St. Lawrence Nurseries also focuses on hardy stock. Their website is linked below.

For a catalog from a more conventional offering of nursery plants, the Winter Greenhouse in Winter, WI has a great reputation in it's retail area. I don't think they do mail order, but if you live anywhere near Winter, it's definitely worth a visit. Unlike most nurseries, they have a large display area planted with hardy plants (I think they are zone 3). I've been there twice, and I plan to go again. Here's their website:
http://www.wintergreenhouse.com/

Unfortunately, none of the catalogs that I've listed are the gloss and flash type. They simply list the plants with descriptions. I don't know of any catalogs that focus on zones 2,3 and 4 with a lot of color to warm the winter soul. I do hope somebody posts one though, I'd like to have one too!

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Lawrence Nurseries

Bookmark   January 25, 2005 at 11:51AM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Try Gardens North. Perennials for cold climates. There is a web site at:
www.gardensnorth.com
There is a charge for the printed catalogue. Not glossy, but very descriptive, lots of unusual stuff and a great winter's read.

Bookmark   January 26, 2005 at 9:41AM
lucky_p

For fruiting plants & vegetables - Fedco, & St. Lawrence Nurseries. Both have websites.

Bookmark   January 26, 2005 at 10:01AM
nnygardener

One I've had a lot of luck with is Springvalleyroses.com, -- they have extremely hardy roses and shrubs. It goes down to -30 where I live and the roses/shrubs have survived the winters fine. They have an on-line catalog, not sure if it comes in print too.

Bookmark   January 26, 2005 at 6:52PM
nlvwroses(z3/4MT)

Hi!
Being that I live in a very cold, crazy northern climate I can relate! If you are interested in roses for cold climates, High Country Roses has a great selection of roses grown on their own roots. They also have a great website & will mail you a catalog if you request it. Also, I have ordered from Ambergate Gardens out of Minnesota and have been very happy with their perennial selection (great root development on their plants). You can find their catalog on the web and they will also send you a catalog if you request one. Hope this helps to chase away thoses winter blues!

Bookmark   January 28, 2005 at 12:09PM
MexParadise(4)

I have ordered from Cottage Farms, great guarantee progream and I have also ordered from Spring Hill Nurseries, also great guarantee program, and nice wishing catolog.

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™