RIP Mr. Kuk

hostahillbilly(4)August 17, 2012

I was notified that one of our Hosta Long-Time greats, Mr. Bob Kuk, is now passed away.

This post is to encourage a thread to honor another one of our esteemed fallen.

This will be a very difficult task, as so many of his Hosta are introductions, but there ARE very many introductions of his, so perhaps we can dedicate a thread, here, to this important person in Hosta History?

my first, and introductory, honorary submission:

hh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_in_mn(4b)

A couple of Kuk hostas-
L to R, T to B;
Margin of Error, Mike Shadrack
Queen Josephine, Prarie Fire
Simply Sharon, Unforgettable

Paul

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 5:26PM
mctavish6

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 1:48PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Oh my!! That Emerald Necklace is perfect, Myrle. Love it.
I have two of his, that I know of. One is Queen Josephine and Unforgettable. I've very fond of them both.

Queen Josephine on the right:

And Unforgettable is a pretty and large hosta.

Where can I go to find all of Mr. Kuk's introductions?

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 4:02PM
donrawson(Z 5)

Where can I go to find all of Mr. Kuk's introductions?

First of all, you can go to the Hosta Registry and do a search by using the Hybridizer's name. This will list all of the cultivars which were registered under Bob Kuk's name. There are 17 introductions listed, as of November 2011.

Secondly, you can look up "Bob Kuk" and "Kuk's Forest Nursery" in the index of The Hostapedia (page 1065) to see all the cultivars that are referenced. These will include both registered and non-registered plants.

Thirdly, you can go to the website of Kuk's Forest Nursery which is posted here, click on "Plant Lists", and then click on "Collections" to view the Kuk's Forest Nursery introductions.

Fourthly, you can go to the MyHostas Database, select "Originator" in the search field, enter "Kuk" and click "Search". This will list all of the Kuk hostas entered into the MyHostas Database.

Lastly, you can go to the Lemke Database, click on "Intros", then look up "Kuk" under the "jkl" index.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 9:52PM
ci_lantro

Moccasin, there is a list of Mr. Kuk's intros at his website, offered for sale as a collection (or individually). Don't know if that's all of them but it's a start.

Go to the website linked below, click on 'Plant Lists' at the top of the screen and then click on 'Collections'.

I had just dropped an order in the mail on Tuesday to Mr. Kuk's nursery. Obviously, I don't know what's going to happen with that order.

Even with being pretty new to hostadom, I can see that Bob Kuk was one of the giants in the biz. His presence is going to be sorely missed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuk's Forest

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 10:03PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Don, and Ci, thank you for the information. It is pretty close to a definitive list of authorities for such matters.

Never heard of the Lemke Database, so adding another one to my repertoire. I've browsed through the Hostapedia so many times, but never really used it other than looking up individual plants. Glad this readily available source, on a handy shelf in my study, also can serve this purpose.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Hosta Z 2014
Zippity Zoo Da In every gardener there is a child who...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
houzz search
We can no longer search under specific forums? Forgive...
smorz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™