Fruit trees for zone 2/3 90 day growing

puttingaround(z3/4WA)January 2, 2006

Getting ready to put in a small orchard on our Eastern WA place. The catch is the 90 day growing season, and that is not consecutive! In a nasty winter, we can be zone 2- generally zone 3. Found a website for Edible Landscaping and St Lawrence Nursery that look good- can anyone suggest apple varieties that have done well in this type of climate? Have gardened here for 10 years, also have an old apple tree in our present yard- but do not know the name. How about apricots and plums? Not many have them around- have been looking at Canadian nurseries to get names of trees- anyone successful in raising stone fruits in a climate like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alcan_nw(z1 AK)

I think there might be something in this other forum;
Far_North forum
Konrad lives around Edmonton and as far as apples are concerned has listed ripening dates on some. Look at the early ones, maybe Lawrence sells those.

The future might hold some promise for better tasting stone fruits, check here for example;
plum

I am excited to eat some test cherries from Saskatchewan some day. The newer ones are bred back to tasty Hungarian pie cherries.

Bookmark   January 11, 2006 at 12:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northeastwisc(4)

For apples, the Honeycrisp has generated a lot of excitement for northern growers (it's rated Z3 - Z5). It's definitely one of my favorite apples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeycrisp apple

Bookmark   January 12, 2006 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Overwintering Tree form lavender
My inlaws gave my wife a lavender 'tree' for mother's...
Sherwood Botsford
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
Chilling requirements for japanese maple.
I love the JM's I had a bloodgood. Planted it in the...
Sherwood Botsford
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™