Flowering Trees

AutumnSunRising(4a-4b)January 24, 2013

Wanted to know if I can grow flowering dogwoods, yoshino cherry trees, pink flowering almond tree, and red bud alba. There are others, but can't find 'em right now lol.

But would like to know if I can grow these successfully in my zones.

Thanks Jae

PS, how do I add stuff to my journal and wish lists and such?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidcalgary29(2b)

It's quite hard to give general advice about zone-pushing (or zone denial) without more specifics about your location. Where are you and how long is your growing season? Are you in an exposed location?

Very generally, it seems that you're pretty marginal for all of your listed species. Flowering dogwood survives as far north as Ottawa (zone 5-ish), but it's very likely that low temps will kill off most or all of the bracts (no showy 'flowers'). Redbud is equally iffy.

There are, however, a number of lovely flowering trees that will survive (and maybe thrive) in zone 4. Black locust is really underplanted, and it puts on an amazing display every June. American linden (and many of its hybrids) has an amazing fragrance, and is well worth a look. And, while I'm never a fan of invasive foreigners, I have to admit that I love the smell of Amur maple when in flower.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
24 / 24 - light / darkness and more
Hi All, Summary: Can flowering tropical plants survive...
ejohnchat
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™