cactus outdoors

daveycrockett(4)January 12, 2006

Hi, does anyone near Sudbury, ON have either a Brittle Pear (Opuntia Fragilis) or Beehive Cactus (Escobaria vivipara) for sale or trade? I've had a Prickly Pear (O. Polyacantha) growing outside for two winters now. I find it fascinating to watch people's faces when they see it growing outside where winters average about -20 degrees C and about 3to 4 feet of snow cover. My Prickly Pear has three or four pads and I would be willing to remove and root one or two pads to trade for the other two species.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

Can't help you with the trade - you might try the Canadian Exchange forum - but it is interesting how few people realize that cacti species are native to Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Cacti in Canada

Bookmark   January 14, 2006 at 11:32PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

We have rolling cactus on our hills above town.Those little balls that just sit on the ground, waiting for you to step on them. Down near the border, by Osoyoos, it is true desert. Everything but the tarantulas.

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 12:09PM
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

I was reading a magazine (Canadian Geographic, I think) at the gym the other night. There was an article in it about tartantula species that occur in BC - some known for some time, others expanding their ranges. Not exactly the really hairy guys you see in the SW US desert, but good-sized ones, anyway.

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 6:09PM
_JAKE_(5-6)

There are many cacti species that can survive in Canada! I'm my zone 5 ish garden in fernie British Columbia I have about 30 species that survive outside! Have you looked into the cholla cactus? They are deffinetely worth looking into. Many types are hardy in our climate! Good luck with your cactus gardening

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 2:45AM
More Discussions
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™