Cold, so late pruning Buddleias

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)March 29, 2011

I hope it's not too late for this, but I'll be cutting back the big last-year's growth on my Buddleia bushes tomorrow. They reached to 8 ft. high and I usually cut them back to about 3 ft. Since they bloom later (not in Spring), it seems to work out OK.

Has everyone else here in zone 6 already cut back their Buddleias?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Hi Carol, I haven't pruned my buddleia yet either. I did see new growth on one at least. I think I will do it this weekend. I normally cut mine back to a foot off the ground and it's 7ft by August. I have a new dwarf variety and I'm undecided about how far back to cut it.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 5:13AM
singleton165(z5 NH Seacoast)

I usually prune mine when I see growth. But then again, when it starts growing there's usually plenty else to do as well. Guess I should prune mine soon as well! LOL

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 11:19PM
gardenweed_z6a

I just started cutting mine back the past couple weekends when I was able to get out in the garden and start clearing winter debris from the beds. I have several buddleias in different beds so they got pruned back to about 6-8 inches as I moved from one to the next. Two or three of mine are established plants; a few others are from winter sown seeds and haven't yet put on more than a few feet of growth. They all had new growth to some extent but I just pruned them back anyway.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 6:31AM
More Discussions
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™