Where are the butterflies and bees?

karen64(6b)July 8, 2014

I added a butterfly garden last year - really looks great this year. My only regulars are Japanese beetles. I put out one of those yellow and green bag traps to alleviate. But where are all the cool garden insects this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

I haven't seen a Japanese Beetle in over 15 years (thank goodness). I, too, planted a butterfly/hummingbird garden and put up a hummingbird feeder but haven't seen either. Yet. Still hoping.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 8:07AM
karen64(6b)

I'm in Mercer County. Previous years plenty of humming birds and such. Always the Japanese beetles but they seem early this year.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 2:40PM
Loretta NJ Z6

Hardly any to no butterflies here too. Maybe the hard winter? I'm missing a lot of regulars. Still, I have a gross amount of Asiatic Garden Beetles. At least I have seen the Golden Tortoise Beetle on my morning glories and green bees on the echinacea.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 10:20PM
achang89(Z6)

There are some butterflies in my garden. Just some wild flowers. I have tons of bees buzzing on my Kabocha pumpkins, so many of them. So I do not have to worry about pollination.

I've also destroyed two wasp nests. I do not know if they are yellow jackets. But they are yellow. They are awful bad.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 2:41PM
trinquette(6)

I planted scarlet runner bean on my deck in several big pots. I get one or two hummingbirds all day long, from early morning to twilight. I harvest the beans for my dogs, who love them.

I also have bees all day long, all kinds, (honey bees too) and bumble bees that are fat and velvety. I haven't seen bumble bees like that since I was a kid.

I think the birds like the baby beans too. I had a cardinal yesterday that looked like he was on steroids, so fat and red. All this from a little humble bean with pretty red flowers.

It's not too late to start some now. Plant it near a window, it's fascinating to watch the activity. Good luck. The bees need all the support we can give them.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:19AM
Loretta NJ Z6

Ended up with plenty of bees and a rising honey bee population too. A few butterflies showed up eventually but not the usual numbers or variety.

Bookmark   September 12, 2014 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Excellent Presentation Today - Functional Landscapes
This afternoon I drove up to Frelinghuysen Arboretum...
agardenstateof_mind
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Let's show our first blooms of the season
So happy to see these today. Are your gardens waking...
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
Citrus in northern nj
Anyone growing citrus in northern nj? Need help finding...
jersey21
Sponsored Products
Broadway Wall Sconce by James R. Moder
$370.00 | Lumens
Galaxy EZ Care Rug
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Olivia Red Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Lightolier 6" Line Voltage Fluorescent Frame Kit
$69.98 | Lamps Plus
Indonesian Balinese Oversized Iron and Wood Floor Screen
$549.99 | Dot & Bo