Rugosa, elder and lilac

ofpill(5a - Ottawa)January 18, 2005

I want to create a hedge screen that contains rugosa rosa and rugosa rosa alba, dwarf elderberry and lilac. Any issues to think about?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Since no one has replied, I will give you my thoughts. I am not an expert, you may want to post on the shrubs forum , but these are my thoughts that come to mind...

Do you intend to place these three shrubs close enough together to form a solid screen?

Each type of shrub may have a different rate of growth, so the top of the 'hedge' may be uneven. Not saying it won't look nice, just want you to be aware of that. Unless, of course, you plan to trim annually to keep at a desired height.

Regarding the height, I assume this may be a lower type of hedge as you will have rugosa roses and dwarf elder?

Sounds like it's worth a try. All of the shrubs mentioned are pretty easy care, once established.

P.S. regarding the lilacs, if you are concerned about blooms, with lilacs you have to be careful what time of year you trim them in. Sounds like you may use a smaller lilac anyways, and not trim.

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™