when to start summer bulbs indoors?

jason0360(5A Ottawa)February 23, 2005

last year was the first year I grew several types of summer blooming bulbs in containers on the patio. They have been happily sitting in the basement over the winter. Anyone out there in Ottawa or similar zone advise how early I should bring them upstairs and start them growing inside to have some growth to put out in the spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twrosz

jason0360, please list out what bulbs you have as this will assist others with the starting dates. Some should be started earlier than others. Terry

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 12:40AM
lblack61(z5 NY)

I am interested in the same thing. I'd like to do this with the following bulbs that I have
1. double Freesias
2. Rannuculus
3. Mexican Shellflower

Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 11:36AM
debbiecz3(z3MB)

My list of bulbs to start up include: hymenocallis, pineapple lily, colocasia esculenta, gloriosa lily, acidanthera and agapanthus. I would like them to have a really good start because our growing season is so short. Can someone give me some guidance please?

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 11:42PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

I don't know if this helps, but I have been over-wintering some bulbs and tubers in my basement for several years now: oxalis, dahlias, tube roses, tropical amaryllis, begonias,tall cannas, and crinum. I used to dig the bulbs/tubers and store, but found it tiresome and I lost some, so for the last four or five years, I grow them in pots and bring the pots in (except for cannas which I just store in a paper bag). I find the best time to bring up the others is about 4 weeks before your frost-free date. I place them in front of a large south-facing window. Before that, the sun in Ontario is not strong enough to give you good growth. I tried it with my dahlias and they grew, gave me blooms before my frost-free date, but the plants were a bit leggy and the blooms were not as vigorous as in other years. I know it is very hard to be patient enough to wait, especially at this time of the year when it seems 'warm' to us. Hope this helps.
P.S. I am in Zone 4, Ontario and my frost-free date is mid-May.

Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 2:08PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

Debbie, I've only tried the pineapple lily and colocasia from your list. These I start around mid April(or a little sooner if I get too impatient) in margarine containers with good potting soil. I don't plant them very deep and usually have just the top of the bulb exposed. Keep them moist, but not soggy, and put them in a south window until they can go outside.

Laurie

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
yellow magnoila tree
I have a small five year old yellow magnolia that I...
diane_v_44
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™