So have you harvested veggies yet? Which ones?

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)August 10, 2005

Have you harvested veggies yet? Which ones? I'd love to see photos..... here your opinions of what you grew, varietiess etc. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

Plenty of cherry tomatoes (Supersweet 100), my Early Girls produced at the same time as my Big Boys, go figure...but we've been harvesting those since late July. Some smallish green peppers, plenty of cucumbers & eggplant. And string beans.

Bookmark   August 10, 2005 at 1:09PM
carlanne(7 NJ coastal)

I had greens of course, but my biggest treat this year so far has been a really good crop of Yukon Gold potatoes grown in a very large planter. No eggplant yet but they are also in planters and probably need more space to really produce.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 12:16AM
Kathy_Z6_NJ

We've been getting lots of tomatoes in the past 2 weeks.
My favorites so far? Black cherry, Sophie's Choice, Cherokee Purple & Marianna's Peace. Still waiting on my fav from last year, Aunt Ginny's Purple. The larger beefsteaks are taking their time ripening!
The eggplants aren't ready yet, another week or so. I've picked lots of hot peppers and a few sweet ones, too. I planted a Tawny Port Pepper this year. It's a real pretty brownish/greenish sweet pepper. I haven't tasted them yet. The zucchini was doing great until the vine borers killed 3 of the 4 that were planted! :( Lots of cukes, they just love this weather!
We have terrible problems with fusarium wilt here (Bayville)on the tomato plants. The plants are still going, but a few are just about hanging in there. The worst hit was Kellogg's Breakfast, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red & Rutgers.
I've gotten tomatoes from the Rutgers, but not the other two. I'm hoping the plants last long enough to ripen the tomatoes!
It's been a good year though, much better than last year!
kathy

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 6:50PM
harleypepperhead(NJ Z6)

I have had many peppers. I am growing Jalapeno, Cowhorn, Hungarian Wax and Bonnie Bell green peppers. They are all doing well. Waiting to pick some more jalapenos so I can make another batch of poppers. The first ones were great. Also have Beefmaster and Celebrity tomatoes but they keep getting rotten bottoms. Have had a few good ones but more rotten ones. Maybe a calcium problem???

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Where to buy indoor plants in NJ? and pots.
My first time with houseplants. So far I've bought...
ellenr22
Any Other Local Garden Forum More Active?
This forum is really quiet. So I just wonder if there...
redsun9
Finally Got Garlic Planted Today
What a beautiful day today! A bit late, but should...
agardenstateof_mind
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™