Sweet Violets (Viola Odorata)

cornishpiskie(Z4 ON)February 6, 2005

Hi Folks,

I am just starting a garden here in Whitefish, ON after 20 years of gardening in South Africa and Australia. So basically I haven't a clue about Northern Gardening! Can anyone tell me if Sweet Violets can survive our winters?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cailinriley(z3 Calgary AB)

I have them happily spreading in my zone 3 garden, so they should survive for you. My problem is that they don't always bloom. It always depends on the type and duration of spring we get in Calgary. Some years, we go straight from winter to summer!! Last year, we had a long spring and I had lots of flowers. You'll be surprised at the treasures you can grow in zone 4. Welcome to the Great White North!

Bookmark   February 6, 2005 at 2:43PM
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

Oh my! They not only survive, they multiply, quickly, by seed. They reseed all over the place, preferring shady areas. I love them. My book says they make a good salad too, with more vit A than spinach.

Bookmark   March 13, 2005 at 4:15PM
LauraBC(z8 BC Cda)

I got a few very tiny plants last spring from my neighbours yard and by the middle of November I had to divide them and move them around, now I have about 10 nice plants about 8" round all madly blooming. I may have to try them in salad, they way they are growing I think we'll have to to keep up with them!

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 5:24AM
cantstopgardening(Zone 4/5 WI)

They come in lots of lovely varieties too! My darn husband doesn't like them as they spread quite readily, but I just love them. Wisconsin state flower too!

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™