Cheap plants!

mucknmire(zone6 NJ)August 4, 2006

Our Sourwood (oxydenron) tree died last month and I wanted to replace it with another sweet bay magnolia (M. virginiana). I previously saw some at a Lowe's so we went there the other day and many of the trees were on sale for 75% off! We bought 2 magnolias but when I saw the price was only $8.50 each, I picked up the last one too. We then went to HomeDepot and their sweetbay mags were also on sale but only half price at $17.99 but the trees were much better looking with more foilage, didn't buy one tho. There was a lone blue atlas cedar so we bought it for 1/3 off. Several of the other plants were also on sale so I picked up two Japanese Hakone grass for shady areas for 1/3 off at $6.69 each. I saw many Japanese maples for sale but I had to pass as we already have a jungle and had most of the varieties they had in stock.

Check out your local big box stores they may have equally good sales. This is a great time to buy your plants. And fall is actually a better time to plant because the plants are not so stressed by the burning sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
actuary97(NJ)

At HD in Parsippany trees are 66% of and shrubs are 33% Off.

Regards

Dave

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 8:56AM
marge_nj(z6NJ)

I have been looking for hakone grass. What HP? I will go tomorrow!

Thanks, Marge

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 12:13AM
Annie_nj(z6b)

Just save your receipts! The big box mortality rate usually runs about 50%.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 3:51PM
mucknmire(zone6 NJ)

Marge, Sorry to be so late with the reply but had trouble with the isp. The HomeDepot in Hamilton, NJ. The grass is a golden yellow green. Very beautiful.

Annie, I've had better luck than 50% but the mortality rate is fairly high. I make sure the trees and plants are watered daily if needed and that seems to do the trick.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 12:35PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

Mucknmire - which Lowe's and HD do you go to?

I've never seen magnolia at the West Windsor ones.

Bookmark   August 15, 2006 at 2:47PM
mucknmire(zone6 NJ)

Hi birdgardner,

The magnolias were available at the Hamilton (Washington township?) HD and Lowe's. I think they may still be available at the HD because they had at least 6 for sale. Nothing left at the Hamilton Lowe's as I bought them out ;) You're right about not seeing them at the WW stores.

I would call before I trek out there but you may not get an answer because the clerks seem pretty clueless about plants.

If you live close to Ewing, the Ash's Farm has their %50 off sale starting today, Aug. 18. Dibs on the dwarf nandina.

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 8:59AM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Depends on what mean by "cheap" but last week I got a simply gorgeous and very healthy 5' tall (from ground up) pink clethra for $20 from Valley Brook in Lebanon.

Many of their shrubs were 50% off and looked like they just recently been shipped in - they were not the season's untended leftovers.

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 7:50PM
mucknmire(zone6 NJ)

Hi, njtea. Your clethra was a bargain. We bought a similar size pink clethra for about $30 about 4 years ago.

The Ash's flower farm I mentioned previously is also bringing in new stock as well as trying to sell their old stuff. There's no refund if your plant dies so you have to determine if the plant will survive the transplanting. I guess the growers are trying to get rid of their stock in the late season so a lot of the nurseries are holding 50% off sales. Late summer or early autumn is actually a really good time to plant because the temperatures are cooler so the sun doesn't ravage the plants so much ...but we sure need rain. We bought two dwarf nandinas for $20 each.

We did go to the HD in Hamilton but most of their sales items were sold including the sweet bay magnolias. Slim pickings.

Bookmark   August 19, 2006 at 8:56PM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

Do woody shrubs and trees reliably live when planted in the fall?

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 2:06PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Fall is the best time to plant because the plants can focus on growing roots rather than putting out leaves. Just as with spring planting, you must make certain that the shrubs/trees get sufficient water.

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 5:12PM
mucknmire(zone6 NJ)

ladychroe, I agree with njtea. All the plants we planted in fall survived while several planted in spring died. You don't have the stresses of hot sun and drying out so much in fall.

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
cutting back in the spring ..
a question for the green thumbs here , when is a good...
diesl44
Was Last Winter Colder Than This Year?
Even with all the snow and cold weather, my bamboo...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Citrus in northern nj
Anyone growing citrus in northern nj? Need help finding...
jersey21
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
Rutgers Day is April 25
http://rutgersday.rutgers.edu/index.php In case anyone...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Sponsored Products
Kichler Cathedral Lighted Standing Outdoor Planter
Lamps Plus
Love Birds Cast Iron Hanging Plant Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware
John Louis Deep Woodcrest Stand Alone 16-inch Tower Kit
Overstock.com
Forever Green Art 6 Foot Kage Bonsai
Beyond Stores
Fruitscape Fruit Tray by Alessi
$240.00 | Lumens