I am a novice gradner and need help please

mhazeltonAugust 5, 2008

Hi everyone:

I am a firt time home owner and I love to make my yard look nice. I have some flowers (petunias) planted now,and they are doing well, but I do not have a green thumb. I am looking for hearty flowers that do not mind sun. I espcially want something that is full and will spread. I have a nice size bed in front of my house windows in the front yard. I would like to also plant some bulbs now for the fall. Is it too late? what types are good for direct sun? Also, I was wondering id anyone had any idea whatt he name of those tall grasses people plant (kind of wispy looking).

Thank you all so much for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fmart322(Z6SNJ)

For perennials try Sedum, Yarrow, Purple Coneflower, Black eye susans, Daylillies, Asian lillies, gayfeather, columbines, Tall Bearded Iris, Creeping Phlox. Those are some. remember to give them space because they all spread. All of these guys are heardy and drought tolerant.
Don't forget to plant Rosemary, Common Thyme, Lavender, Common Sage. Great herbs to have for cooking except for Lavender of course. You can use that for other things. For annuals check the labels and see what you like.
Ornamental grasses, just google it and see what you like. I have some and they grow well with little work.

Good luck.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 5:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ten_steps_ahead(6 NJ)

As far as the bulbs go, most of them love direct sun. I usually plant mine anywhere from the end of August to the end of October.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 2:18AM
More Discussions
Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey
There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees...
elman23
Garlic
Anyone ever try growing garlic? Tried searching the...
ourbackyard
WANTED: Wanted: Gardenia Cuttings
Would like to take some gardenia cuttings.
redsun9
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™