First Garden

bishops_pappyFebruary 5, 2007

Been reading and learning a lot from this site lately.

I am planting a garden near Sherbrooke in May. Its purpose is to grow organic veggies for my family's consumption. I will have three south-facing beds of 4x4 feet using the "square garden" principle. Here are my questions.

Does anyone know of a few good nurseries that I can visit in the area?

Since I will be tending to my garden during the weekends, as I live in Montreal, does anyone have any suggestions for low-maintenance vegetables that I should consider?

Kale, broccoli, tomato, eggplant, cucumber, pea, melon, lettuce, cabbage, zucchini, onion, and squash interest me so far. I am sure that the list will expand as the season approaches.

And finally, I would like to plant some fruit trees as well. So far, plum, pear, and cherry interest me, as there are already half a dozen apple trees on the property. Can anyone suggest a variety that will grow well in this zone, or maybe another type of fruit tree altogether? Again, the purpose is primarily personal consumption, so taste/volume is an issue. Are there any nurseries in the area that I can be directed to?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nwl_me

Since I will be tending to my garden during the weekends, as I live in Montreal, does anyone have any suggestions for low-maintenance vegetables that I should consider?

-----------------

An extremely low-maintenance vegetable is Jerusalem Artichokes aka Sunchokes, Helianthus tuberosus. They can be planted in spring or fall. They are actually a form of perennial sunflower that makes very good tasting tubers. During the summer, they make very pretty blooms. After the leaves die in fall, dig up the tubers and cook like potatoes. The starch is somewhat different than that of potatoes, though. Jerusalem Artichokes tend to dissintegrate much more easily when boiled.

Good luck.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
yellow magnoila tree
I have a small five year old yellow magnolia that I...
diane_v_44
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™