Katydid sighting

jrzgurl(9)August 12, 2005

My son told me to come look at this bug that looks like a leaf, he's never saw one. I told him it was a katydid. Then we looked it up on the net. Haven't seen one myself in years!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

We saw one yesterday too. A sparrow flew down from a tree, dropped it and flew back up again as if it was evicted. Perhaps he was a noisy neighbor.

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 10:18PM
mulchwoman(metuchen,nj)

Hi
We have them here, too. Between the cicadas and the katydids, the nights are filled with sound. It's good to hear natural sounds.
Pat

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 6:29AM
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

My neighbood is deafening, overwhelming, just plainly scary as it sounds like one of those 50's B Movies of the early Atomic age with giant Insects about to appear out of the desert...... Each & every August like clockwork. ......I wouldn't have it any other way.

You're so so right Pat. It's great to be 'smacked right in the sensories' with these critters on any given summer evening.

My neighbor stopped by a week or so ago and showed me a ciciada in his/her new skin. The wings were translucent, having just unfurling themselves with brilliant blue-green skeins streaking across the wing area.

Neat stuff.

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 9:03PM
rburlock1_aol_com

I have several Katydid's eating away at my garden, and I must say that they are beautiful insects. I remember listening to them when I was a kid, but I do not remember ever seeing one. Are they good insects or bad?

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
Was Last Winter Colder Than This Year?
Even with all the snow and cold weather, my bamboo...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
The ABC's of Vegetable Gardening, Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:00
Think “Spring”! Southard Grange #218 is happy to...
a_holovacs
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
Birds Ruining My Mountain Laurels
Yesterday, I had my arborist come by to review some...
Laurie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™